Hello, Golden Key! Here are this week’s updates, have a great week!
- If you haven’t already, join our Facebook group: UF Golden Key, to receive updates and information that is not on the listserv. Also, follow us on Instagram at #ufgoldenkey.
- Golden Key walks Gators March for Babies! This event is dedicated to fighting premature birth by educating communities, helping expectant mothers, and funding research. The walk is 3 miles and begins at Turlington Plaza. Registration begins at 1:00 pm and the walk begins at 2:00 pm. More information will be included about registering at the GBM.
- General Body Meeting Wednesday, October 19th 7pm @ LIT 0101
- General Body Meeting Wednesday, November 2nd 7pm @ LIT 0101
- General Body Meeting Wednesday, November 16th 7pm @ LIT 0101
- Adopt-a-Street Friday, October 16th 10:45pm-12:00pm @ Library West
- Milk and Bookies Friday, October 21st 6:00pm-7:00pm @ Little 0113
- Volunteering with IMPACT Autism Sunday, October 23rd 12:30-4:00pm @ Westside Park
- Anti-bullying Event at J.J. Finley Thursday, October 27th 7:30am-9:00am @ J.J. Finley
- Dodgeball Tournament Saturday, October 22nd 10am-3pm @ TBA
- Golden Key does March for Babies Saturday, November 20th 1pm-4pm @ Turlington Plaza
- Karma Key: Krishna and Frisbee Friday, October 28th, 11am-1pm
- Big/Little Wii Mario Kart Event Wednesday, October 19th 8pm @ LIT 0223
- Big/Little Board and Card Game Night Wednesday, November 2nd 8pm @ LIT 0223
- Volleyball Thursday, October 13th 7:20pm @ Southwest Rec
- Intramural Dinner Thursday, November 3 8:00pm-9:00pm @ Olive Garden
- Documentary Night Thursday, October 20th, 7:20pm-9:10pm @ MCCA 1142
- Documentary Night Monday, November 14th, 7:00pm-7:00pm @ MCCA 2196
- General Body Meeting Come join us for our bi-weekly general body meeting! We will make general announcements and discuss upcoming events, as well as have various guest speakers/activities throughout the semester (see our FB group for more details!!). If you have any questions please email [email protected]
g or [email protected] .org.
- Adopt-a-Street Help keep the local community clean by coming out to Golden Key’s Adopt-a-Street event! On Sunday, October 16th, we are meeting in front of Library West at 10:45 AM then carpooling over to our street: NW 8th Ave. RSVP here!
- Milk and Bookies Come join us for a fun service event! Your “ticket in the door” to this event is a NEW elementary reading level book, which will be donated to JJ Finley, a local elementary school. During the event, a drawing will be held for various gift certificates. There will be snacks and drinks, along with a few fun games. So, come out to a very worthwhile event! Sign-in here!
- Volunteering with IMPACT Autism We will be volunteering with IMPACT Autism for their Kid’s Day Out. How this event will work is that 2 to 3 volunteers will be matched up with each child, and we will spend the afternoon hanging out at Westside Park with the children. As for requirements to volunteer:
- Only 10 golden key members will be able to attend, so be sure to sign up early.
- The coordinator needs a head count by October 18th and needs the following information from each volunteer: name, email, and UFID.
- All volunteers must complete the HIPAA General Awareness Training and Confidentiality Statement found here.
- All volunteers must complete a background check and bring a hard copy of it to the event. We have attached a background check form that, if printed out and brought to the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office (2621 SE Hawthorne Rd Gainesville, FL 32641), will be free. Here is the attachment!
- Anti-Bullying Event Service would like you to be a part of an anti-bullying event in October that we have planned for first graders at J. J. Finley. The event will include a few fun activities for the students after the anti-bullying presentation. To participate in this event, please join our Service Committee. We will be scheduling a few mandatory meetings prior to this event for preparation. Please know that the event will be on Thursday, October 27, 2016, from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. If you are interested in being a part of this service event, please complete the below google form listing your availability by October 1, 2016. After you complete and submit the form, Jessica Killingsworth will contact you with further information by October 10, 2016. Sign-up for the committee!
- Dodgeball Tournament Gather your friends for a little friendly competition. This tournament will benefit our March for Babies team. There is a $5 cover fee to participate. Teams will consist of 4 people. Don’t worry if you don’t have 4 people, you will be able to register as an individual and we will pair you up. More details, including signup, location and prizes to be announced soon.
- Golden Key does March for Babies Golden Key walks Gators March for Babies! This event is dedicated to fighting premature birth by educating communities, helping expectant mothers, and funding research. The walk is 3 miles and begins at Turlington Plaza. Registration begins at 1:00 pm and the walk begins at 2:00 pm. Register online here and search for UF Golden Key as the team.
- Karma Key: Krishna and Frisbee Hey Everyone! Every Friday that we do not have a GBM, we will be meeting for Lunch @ the Plaza of the Americas for Krishna and Frisbee. Lunch runs from 11-1:30 PM, but the event will only be held until 1 PM. You can bring lunch or buy lunch for $5 for one meal, or $35 for 10 meals (bring 10 people and you only need to pay $3.50!).We will be providing the Frisbee and other activities. This event is purely for socializing on weeks we don’t have Golden Key GBMs. RSVP here!
- Big/Little Wii Mario Kart Event Right after the GBM, we will be having a Big Little Wii Mario Kart game. At most, 4 people can play during one game. This event is open to general members as well bigs and littles. Sign-in here for October 19th!
- Big/Little Board and Card Game Night Right after the GBM, we will be having a Big Little board and card game night (I have a huge cards against humanity set). This event is open to general members as well bigs and littles. Sign-in here!
- Volleyball Come play some volleyball with your fellow Golden Key members and directors! Make sure to bring your Gator1 and wear athletic clothes and a blue shirt! Sign in for October 13th!
- Intramural Dinner If you attended four of the volleyball games you can get a free dinner!
- October’s Documentary Night Come out and watch “Freakonomics”, a 2010 documentary film based on the book of the same name. “Freakonomics” is a collection of economic theories applied to the analysis of human behavior. Topics in this film include racism in professional advancement opportunities, the decline of urban crime rate, and cheating in Sumo wrestling. Hope to see you there!
- November’s Documentary Night 2 Didn’t go to the first documentary night? Did go to the first documentary night but you just want more? Come out and watch Poverty Inc. with us. This film examines the influence of the West on development of societies and the mixed results of their power. “Drawing from over 200 interviews filmed in 20 countries, Poverty, Inc. unearths an uncomfortable side of charity we can no longer ignore.”
Thanks for reading, and hope to see all of your lovely faces at our chapter events! If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to email me at [email protected]